Our baby, the one who turned me into a mom, is six today. SIX. More than a handful. Big enough to read, write (and no more backwards letters or words anymore - she has mastered the art of being a leftie), babysit for the length of a shower or the time it takes to prep and cook dinner, big enough to forge real friendships with real secrets and dance around her room singing to Taylor Swift songs and do her own hair and ask for makeup. Seriously. She begged and begged to wear "just some mascara and eyeshadow and maybe some lipstick?" for her school holiday show. I acquiesced, and dabbed a tiny itty bit of makeup on her wide-eyed, wonder-filled face, letting myself wonder what she'll be doing and what she'll be like when she's wearing makeup for real, and putting it on herself.
She's an artist, a dreamer, a dancer, a talented soccer player and runner; she's happy and friendly and warm and silly and sensitive and shy and complicated, as a six year-old should be. My favorite time of day, besides seeing her bounce off happily to school in her school uniform that she has 'accessorized' (usually involving jewelry, crowns, bows, silly socks and/or scarves) is our story and snuggle time before bed. She will tell me things about her day, wonder things like "who makes mosquitos? I don't like them. I don't think anyone should make them," and "how big is the biggest number?" and tell me tidbits about her friends, like who played Star Wars with her on the playground and who made her a picture in class today.
One of my favorite things about Anika is her ability to make everyone feel welcome and loved. She always talks about her friend Valentina, and it wasn't until about two weeks ago that I discovered Valentina is in a wheelchair. I asked her, "why is she in a wheelchair?" and Ani said, nonchalantly, "she's always had a wheelchair," and then she twirled and smiled and said, "And guess what, mama? She has SEVEN chairs! She has one that goes like THIS - (arm movements) - and one that helps her get up and down into a bed, and one that she can even exercise in!"
When we went to meet Santa, the Grinch was also there and, you guessed it, Anika was more interested in talking to - and hugging - the Grinch.
I could not love my girl any more than I do at this very moment. And, with rare exceptions, every moment she makes me feel this way.
We love you, Anika, to the ends of the farthest rainbow and back again. Happy 6th birthday, my soccer-playing, dirt-throwing, run-as-fast-as-the-wind princess.


No comments:
Post a Comment