24 June 2010

Balloons, peas, and sunsets on the Sandias

Today was a lovely day.  Anika took her first multiple-hour nap (2 to be exact!!), we went to the DMV and didn't have to spend three kazillion hours in line, and I was able to have long chats on the phone this afternoon with my best friend and my birthday sister (happy 22nd, Sarah!).  The only thing that would make this day better is a pedicure and a glass of champagne.  Wait, scratch that.  What would really be fantastic is finding a money tree in the backyard.  Yeah, that would totally make my day.

Despite the fact that our backyard is missing a money tree, however, can I just say how much I love waking up, stepping outside with my coffee, and seeing this?


Today we discovered that Anika is not a big fan of peas.  She and my mom have that in common. Well, to be perfectly honest, I took a small taste to see why she was making all of these funny faces and gagging noises, and it was pretty disgusting for something whose ingredients list only water and peas.  At least she had a bit of fun with the spoon; rather than use it as a tool to assist in eating, she prefers to utilize it in her newfound game, which is called Banging the Spoon Loudly Against the Tray and Squealing Even Louder as Pea Bits Splatter Everywhere.




In an attempt to get Anika accustomed to her own bed (as opposed to ours, where she slept soundly for her nap today and is currently stretched out like a cat in the middle of the mattress; every night we have to play Twister in order to maneuver ourselves into the small pieces of bed that she leaves for us to sleep on), we are experimenting with setting her down in her crib around naptime, walking away, and seeing what happens.

Apparently it's much more fun to play in the crib than sleep in it, because this is what happens:



When she was having trouble falling asleep tonight (third crib attempt of the day: fail), I took her for a stroll in the yard, then promptly turned around and bolted inside for my camera so that we could document this:


Gawd, I love it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment