If you could have a conversation with Mr. Roman - which you can, full of expressions and bouncing and screeching and happy wiggles with accompanying hand and arm movements that often look like he's miming a snorkeler meandering along a coral reef - but if you could really hear what he's thinking, it might go something like this:
Hey buddy, you're six months old! Well, actually, it was last week but I'm doing the best I can keeping up with remembering my own name, and stuff, because I'm just so gosh darn tired. Also, I think the onesie you're wearing is your pajamas. From yesterday.
Ooooh, mama, that's so AWESOME. I mean, I could just jump all day on this squishy tummy of yours. Which I LOVE by the way, don't ever exercise or change anything because it's absolutely the BEST TRAMPOLINE EVER. Also, your hair. On the back of your head. I'm just gonna grab it, like this, and pull you even closer and put my cheek against your cheek because I couldn't possibly be happier to be with you in this very moment. In fact, I'm so happy, I'm gonna bounce some more.
[YAWN] Sorry, buddy, guess our 4 a.m. wake-up time is catching up to me.
Oh, but isn't it WONDERFUL waking up and seeing the sunrise, and having our little conversations just the two of us before everyone else gets up, and then you and Grandma and Grandpa sit around with your sippy cups and I have my sippy cup and we just hang out before you really get a start to your day? Don't you just LOVE that?
Not going to argue with you there, although I think at some point you're going to love sleeping in. And coffee, although you certainly don't need any in YOUR sippy cup. In the meantime, I may go temporarily insane from sleep deprivation.
Ooh, that sounds bad. Here, have a snuggle and here is my biggest smile and laugh for you. Feel better?
I do, Mr. Roman, thanks! You're quite the character. You are so sweet and patient and understanding all the time, and so accommodating, especially when it comes to your big brother and big sister.
Oh. My. Gosh. They are, like, my favorite people. After you, and daddy of course, and Grandma and Grandpa and my cousins and my aunts and uncles and that lady in the grocery store and that lady from church who calls me her boyfriend. I must must MUST bounce some more, because I can't hold all of this love and happiness in this little body of mine.
About that, buddy. See, you're, like, kind of ginormous. Well, not off-the-charts big any more, but you're pretty solid. Creeping up on 20 pounds and solidly in the 80th percentile. We love how you have rolls on your legs and little Popeye arms and these big hands with fingers that you weave through mine. We love how your butt is disproportionately small for the rest of you -- it's so cute I can hardly stand it. And you have these delicate little toes and feet, with pretty pronounced arches for a little one. Your eyes are always shining, unless they're red and you're rubbing them because you're tired, or you shed a tear or two because you heard a loud noise and it scared you.
There isn't much I dislike about this world I'm beginning to explore, but I do have to tell you that things like the blender or a sudden shriek or the tiniest possibility that you might leave my sight leave me in quite a predicament. I don't like to cry, but I will if you keep exposing me to these things. Which I know you won't, because you are THE BEST MOM EVER. Even if you've let me fuss for much longer than you did with the other kids, and even if you make me fuss myself to sleep and wait what's a long time but what really doesn't feel that long to get a taste of some food, or….
Oh, buddy, I'm really sorry about all that. I'm doing the best I can, and ….
MOM. We make the best team ever. I have to jump some more now, because my legs are so happy. Don't even worry about what I just said. It has no bearing on me whatsoever past the first few seconds. In fact, what were we talking about? Ohmygoodness look over there! It's Anika! She's leaning in for a hug and kiss! I'm so all over that! And Reni is running up to me, about to squeeze me, and I'm just going to give my heart-breaking wide smile and squeal because he loves it when I do that and I'm just SO HAPPY to see my siblings.
Yeah, buddy, you really are a people person. You pretty much love everyone, unless you think they're going to take you away from me, and you remember people and love to smile to see their reaction. If it's a new person, you'll smile when they say your name or make a funny noise. I love how you're so proud of yourself, now that you can navigate your way around a sippy cup and eat with us at mealtimes and how you get up on your hands and knees and rock back and forth and just laugh at how fun it is.
I KNOW, isn't it great?! I can just tell there's something amazing about to happen if I could just move forward somehow….but it's so much fun just rocking that I'm going to rock it for awhile. Speaking of amazing, today at the pool was super awesome. What was that again - splashing? Next time, just let go of me, I've got this, totally.
You really did have the arm movements and leg kicks down, little guy. We were really impressed. You know what else is impressive? How you're trying to carefully turn the pages of your bedtime story books and how you can almost sit up on your own.
I'm so proud of all of the cool things my body can do, mommy! And I'm so happy to share all of this with you.
Me too, buddy. Me too.
No comments:
Post a Comment