Well, today's the day. We've provided document after document, explanations and letters, and just about everything except our kidneys and rights to our first-born child, and the actual living, breathing underwriter (an oxymoronic characterization, I know, but let's roll with that for the moment) will give us the go-ahead or the heave-ho on our loan application today.
We've passed the loan officer's meticulous eye and the underwriting computer program, but our fate now rests in the hands of this nefarious underwriter. (Guess I should be careful here, as they have the power to find out just about anything and everything about you and they're probably reading this blog, too). Honestly, people, it's Big Brother and 1984 when it comes to applying for a home loan these days. And I mean 1984 both literally and figuratively, as it's akin to working with someone in Orwell's world as well as eerily similar to applying for a loan in the Reagan years. That last bit according to our loan officer, anyway, because of course I was tossing a ball and using a scissors to cut out triangles and squares to apply for kindergarten at the time. The good news here is that Anika will not have any memories of living in this hotel. Not that it's a bad hotel, of course, but it's a hotel and we're not on vacation. Hotels are like Vegas - after a few days, they lose their luster and start to really wear on you.
And we can't even turn on the news to blithely pass the time, because this BP oil disaster and now the Mossad completely losing its mind and attacking aid flotillas are making us sick to our stomach. Let's just hand Iran a free pass, shall we? And I'd like to meet the engineer that agreed that the deep sea drilling was fail-safe. I've worked with NASA engineers, people, and besides their charming lack of social skills, they all have in common a healthy propensity to doubt and to plan for scenarios B through Z way in advance.
In local news, Armando and I got hit with some sort of a stomach virus which has, mercilessly, avoided Anika as far as we can tell. This made for a very interesting Memorial Day weekend.
We did get to see some very good friends for dinner last night, and even though I was unable to eat, it was wonderful to spend time chatting and enjoying the gorgeous Albuquerque evening. Cross your fingers that we'll have our own Albuquerque backyard to grill out our own dinners exactly two weeks from today.
No comments:
Post a Comment